Re: [Shop-talk] Removing/re-using badges

To: "Shop Talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Removing/re-using badges
From: "David Scheidt" <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 14:44:01 -0400
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 2:43 PM
To: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>

On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 10:50 AM, Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com> wrote:
> Herby wrote:
>> goo-gone, Goof Off and many others but found the 3M stuff works much better.
>> I picked it up at Pep Boys, Kragen's or one of my local auto parts chains.
>
> 3M stuff rocks!  Unfortunately, they realize this and charge
> accordingly.  Think I paid $15 and change for an aerosol can of
> "pinstripe remover" -- but d@@@ the stuff worked!

In the case of pinstripe remover, it's better living through physics.
It's a pretty standard adhesive (though, not a xylene-based one)
remover, with fumed silica (very, very small bits of glass, basically)
as an abrasive.

Most of the petroleum based adhesive removing solvents are built
around the same basic solvents.  The base is xylene, which attacks a
fair number of adhesives, but not all, and is a very effective
degreaser.  Xylene is typically about half the product, ranging up to
75% in some.  The next ingredient in most formulas is "naptha", which
is a vaguely defined bunch of hydrocarbons.  The good expensive
products (like 3Ms) are probably using a small number of particular
chemicals; cheaper stuff is using it by density and boiling point.
Napthas are 20-50% of the product, depending.  The rest of the stuff
depends on the particular product.  Common ingredients include
ethlybenzene (which is often present in solvent-grade xylene, so it
may be there in pretty high percentages, even if it's not listed on
the MSDS), benzene, toluene, heptane, and more.

Depending on where you live, you may be able to get xylene at the
hardware store.  (The home depot here sells it in gallon cans, for
about 10 bucks (well, it's probably 20 these days...)) It's worth
trying before you go for an expensive preparation, because it works
about 80% of the time, and is much cheaper.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com

--