Re: [Shop-talk] oxy-acetylene cutting

To: eric@megageek.com;,shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] oxy-acetylene cutting
From: "David C." <cavanadd@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 20:09:13 -0700
First, what size tip are you using?  How thick is the metal?  It
sounds like you are probably using a "normal" OO size tip (or so),
and your pressures sound spot on.

We had exactly the same problem with the cutting rig in my school
shop when I took over.  The problem was a dirty/messed up tip.  The
holes in the tip are very small and precise and if the cutting gas
swirl pattern isn't just right, it won't cut right.  It'll plug up
the cut with slag like you're getting, and it will also make a nasty
looking kerf.

The first thing I would do is get a set of tip cleaners and clean the
tip and try again.  If you are still having the same problem, get a
new cutting tip from a welding shop (not the Borg), and ask the sales
guy if they have a sample cutting/welding table setup, and  have him
critique your technique and maybe offer some pointers.  New cutting
tips are cheap, and I'll bet that's your problem.  Make sure you're
not getting too close to the work with your tip; if you overheat and
get popping it can contaminate your tip.  Also never bang on anything
with the tip.

Dave C