Re: [Shop-talk] sheared bolts...I hate 'em

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] sheared bolts...I hate 'em
From: Steve Shipley <shiples@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 17:29:50 -0700
At 04:41 PM 5/21/2008 -0600, Traci Pearson wrote:
>I've had my share of sheared bolts on 510s, and
>in the past I always had someone else extract
>them for me. But I want to learn to do it on myself.

I spent a little time learning this myself last year.
I probably had 8 different broken fasteners on a
Ford 351W.  Got one out by welding a nut on.
Next time I tried it I failed.

What I just learned out of these posts is to use
a jig to drill out the broken fastener.  I have an
intake manifold that needs repair because I
thought I could drill accurately.  Drilling a steel
fastener out of an iron casting is more forgiving
than aluminum.

Accurate drilling WILL work.  Any other method
MIGHT work.  The idea is to choose the best
strategy.  No one can look at a broken
fastener and predict which chemical, tool, or process
will be successful

The trouble with accurate drilling is that step one of
the process might be remove engine or lift body
from chassis.

You go out to change the thermostat and end up
disassembling the front end of the car.