Re: [Shop-talk] sheared bolts...I hate 'em

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>, "Traci Pearson" <pearsontechcomm@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] sheared bolts...I hate 'em
From: "Eric J Russell" <ejrussell@mebtel.net>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 18:55:23 -0400
If possible, some sort of jig to guide a drill bit straight into the
bolt's center is worth the effort to construct. Some times it's as
simple as a bushing that will fit over the protruding bit of the bolt
or fit into the hole the bolt is inside. And since it is usually a
one-time use jig, hardwood is often sufficient (cheaper & easier to
make if you gots scraps of wood lying about).

Left hand drill bits might prove useful.

I like PB Blaster as a rust penetrating lube.

I am always leery of the mis-labeled "Easy-Outs". If the bolt is just
broken but not otherwise seized they work well. But that scenario is
rare. They break because they are seized/rusted in place. And if you
break an Easy Out in the broken bolt then you will learn why curse
words were invented.

If drilling with progressively larger drill bits will not allow you to
drill out the bolt until only the threads remain and allow the
weakened threads to be picked out then consider drilling it out
completely and using a thread repair insert (such as Heli-Coil).

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC
http://home.mebtel.net/~ejrussell