[Shop-talk] john deere lawn tractors?

To: Shop Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] john deere lawn tractors?
From: scott.hall@comcast.net
Date: Sat, 03 May 2008 21:54:55 +0000
my wife went off her meds recently and took it upon herself to purchase for us
a spanking new john deere lawn tractor from the local deere dealer.

$2,800.

that does not include tool-time heidi coming over for 'servicing' (what?
seemed fair for that coin).

comparable deere- (and other-) branded tractors (actually--not comparable,
much, much better spec-ed) are about $1700 in big box stores.

so, before I return this thing to the dealership, can anyone tell me about
deere tractors?  it's just a 42" kawasaki-v-twin engined lawn mower.

the salesman sold my wife with the increased warranty and told her everything
at the 'crap' hardware stores was 'consumer' grade, but this fine hunk of
machinery was for 'professionals' (maybe a lot of pros use 42" decked mower
tractors, I don't know).

anyhow, it is different from the big-box models, and I assume the big-box ones
are ayp (american yard products) machines with deere green paint and stickers.
but...$1,000 more?  basically, can anyone tell me about 'real' deere tractors,
and give me any kind of actual reason I shouldn't take this thing back right
now?  thicker deck, better tranny, etc.?  and how *much* better?

the extra warranty would be nice if it were free.  I wouldn't pay $.25 for it.
the deck has a nice adjuster.  it will get adjusted once then left there
forever.  it seems to have a pto on it.  we have nothing that runs off a pto
and never will.  any tractor will live in a garage and get maintained regularly.

ultimately: will it last that much longer and run ~100% better over that
lifespan to justify the stinging pain I have right now in my butt?

I'm never going out of town again.  damn.