Re: [Shop-talk] jack stands

To: Marc <smarc@smarc.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] jack stands
From: Mike Rambour <mikey@b2systems.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 12:33:40 -0700
Ok, now you are trying to expose a pattern of my UNsafeness :)

 I own a Perfect Park lift, yes the very same brand that a few years ago
had a lift failure and dropped a Corvette onto another Corvette (no big
loss to the car world in my opinion).  Its the only lift failure I have
seen on the net and although I am sure it happens more often than we
would like to hear about its the only one I know of.  You can see pics
of it in the Backyard Buddy advert they ran a few months ago (maybe
still are).  The manufacturer sells the lift under many names and they
were all fixed with a "kit" that consisted of a hand written note, a
drill bit, a chunk of steel plate and a few bolts.  Its fixed in the
latest versions of course and this was only a issue on the older lifts
(9-10 years ago).

 I would not and will not get rid of mine, I find it perfectly safe
since I know what happened and look out for it even with their fix.  If
I were to buy a lift nowdays I would look at Bend-Pak over Backyard
Buddy although BB is a great lift, the Bend-Pak one seems better
engineered to me.  Like I said, my Perfect Park is here to stay however
and I regularly use it.  My Dino is under it right now although a week
ago I noticed my Singer leaked oil onto the Dino, might have to move it,
not for safety but for oil on the paintwork.

    mike