[Shop-talk] Coleman Pressure Washer, Cutting Out

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shop-talk] Coleman Pressure Washer, Cutting Out
From: David Hillman <hillman@planet-torque.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 13:23:54 -0400 (EDT)
    My wife borrowed her dad's pressure washer yesterday, to clean our
patio, and it worked great except that it kept dying and needing to be
restarted.  It's only a year old, and has been used less than half-a-dozen
times.  When it's running, it's great, but every 5-15 minutes, it misses
once or twice and then stalls.  To restart it, you have to choke it
completely, but when you do, it starts back up.

    Spark plug is in great shape, and tan. Air filter is clean.  Owner's
manual doesn't mention any other adjustments except for a fuel filter,
that I didn't check yet.  Also, this happens when connected to other
water sources.

    The manual does mention that excessive pressure at the pump will cause
it to shut down, and it seems like this may be what is happening.  If you
restart it quickly, it will usually only run 20 seconds before dying
again.  However, if you let it sit for a few minutes, it'll run for 5-10.

    There is an output pressure adjustment that we played with, but that
had no effect on the symptom ( did change the pressure, though ).  We used
an array of tips, with no change, either.

    Any ideas on how to get this thing to run consistently, or what's wrong
with it?  Thanks.

--
  David Hillman