[Shop-talk] riding mower gas fumes

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shop-talk] riding mower gas fumes
From: David Cole <dgcole01@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 17:13:37 -0500
Hello all,

I have a problem with my riding mower.  Perhaps someone on the list
can help me or direct me to a mailing list/forum for help.

I have a 2003 Craftsman riding mower.  DLT 3000 42" cut  with a
Kohler 20hp twin.  It's been flawless and required nothing other than
oil changes and a couple of blade replacements.   The problem is gas
fumes coming from the the tank/gas cap after shutdown when it's
parked in the garage.

The mower has a 4 gal tank under the seat with the gas cap on the
fender.   The gas cap has small hole (1/16") in the top as a vent.  I
would assume the vent is supposed to be one way to allow air into the
tank to replace the gas as it's used.  The underside of the cap has a
rubber gasket and a large 1/8" hole that matches up the with outside
hole.  I can see a foam type filter inside the cap through the
hole.  I do not know if there is a one way rubber flapper valve
inside the cap or not.   Gas is getting up inside the cap and causing
fumes.  I have put a piece of plastic bag between the cap and tank
and that helps somewhat once the gas inside the cap finally
evaporates.  If I do not put the plastic between them it seems to
keep emitting fumes for days.  It's as if the tank is building
pressure and pushing fumes into the cap, keeping what gas is in there
from evaporating.

There were no problem for almost the first 4 years I owned the mower,
but then the problem started at the end of last season.   I have
already replaced the cap with a new one and the problem is still just
as bad.   I've looked, but can't find any obvious leaks from the tank or lines

Thanks
David Cole