Re: [Shop-talk] It's spring...

To: <wolfeb@verizon.net>, "shop-talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] It's spring...
From: "john niolon" <jniolon@bham.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 08:20:30 -0500
The brick layers for our house would just pick up a brick and smack it
> hard with the straight edge of their trowel breaking off the majority of
> the brick. Flip it over and trim the other edge with a similar, but less
> violent blow. Much faster. Less accurate. Practice makes perfect. YMMV.

THAT is why you have 500- 3/4 bricks left to pick up when you build a new
house.. Have you ever seen a brick layer stoop down and pick up that 3/4
brick and use it again ???  It's got another good end on it... but Nope
...just whack off a new one.  I can remember my uncle (old-time block /
brick mason) using every available bit of material he could.  You wouldn't
have a bucket load of waste from their jobs...  Now a days they don't
care... time is money and it ain't THEIR money they are wasting anyway.

later
John