Re: [Shop-talk] It's spring...

To: scott.hall@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] It's spring...
From: "David Scheidt" <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 20:19:03 -0400
On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 7:58 PM,  <scott.hall@comcast.net> wrote:
> the guys that were facing an office next to a job site I saw were using
>chisels and what looked like a wet tile saw.  they used a big gas-powered
>circular saw for the landscape blocks.  whatever you learn, I'd like to learn,
>too.  I'll have an addition to brick pretty soon...

It's not that hard to cut bricks using a bolster -- that's the
wide-bladed chisel used for cutting bricks.  It needs to be wider than
the brick.  Score the back side, flip it over, and whack it with the
chisel.  Even a complete hack like me can do one a minute at least.  A
masonry blade in an angle grinder will work too, but it's not really
any faster, unless you've got complex shape to cut.  If you've got
lots to cut, you can get diamond blades, or rent a brick cutting
machine.  (If you lay out your work carefully, you can make all the
cuts at once, and only need the machine for a day or half a day.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com