Re: [Shop-talk] PC Hackin'

To: "Mark Andy" <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] PC Hackin'
From: "David Scheidt" <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 16:13:45 -0400
On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 3:56 PM, Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com> wrote:
> Howdy,
>

>  On Tue, 11 Mar 2008, Battmain wrote:
>  >>> Access the registry??? I can't even run a defrag on my work laptop.
>  >
>  > IMNSHO, blocking defrag is a darn waste of sys admin authority. Where
>  > there is a will there is a way. If you screw up, that's when the company
>  > gripes at you. ;p
>
>  Dude, their goal is very unlikely to be to block defrag... Its almost
>  certainly to block something else and the 'easy' way was to block a whole
>  group of things, one of which was defrag.

If you can run a defragger, you can read and rewrite every block on
the disk.  That means you've got control of the machine.  It the
business's machine, they control the use of it.  You wouldn't object
if they told you you couldn't take the company car to the track, would
you?

The way I defrag machines is to reinstall the image, which is much
faster and more reliable.
--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com