Re: [Shop-talk] PC Hackin'

To: Shop Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] PC Hackin'
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 11:51:27 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008, Wayne wrote:
> As a SysAdmin sorta guy myself, I probably shouldn't tell ya'.  But
> security via obscurity is BS anyway (that's why I generally avoid
> windoze boxes).  Google around -- there are many password crack
> utilities for Windows NT, 2000 & XP.  Most will boot Linux, then mount
> the NTFS C: partition and run a registry editor to let you overwrite the
> Admin password.  The system's SID is not modified, so it shouldn't
> affect your ability to login to the domain @ work.  Then use "services"
> from the controls and make sure "Run As Service" is enabled.  You can
> then right click on Defrag, select "Run As", enter the admin password
> you selected and do what you want.

And, when the friendly helpdesk person tries to log into your computer,
can't because you changed the password, and you get fired... Think again
about how much you care about having pictures show up on your screen
saver.

:-)

Its your work's computer.  If they want to lock it down (even if you & I
think its stupid), they can.  And chances are there are fairly strict
policies in place about how to deal with folks that willfully circumvent
their security.

Hopefully they wouldn't be that insane, but in my experience, network
admin folks (particularly ones that lock stuff like this down) have a very
poor sense of humor.

Mark