Re: [Shop-talk] Repair underground conduit

To: "shop-talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Repair underground conduit
From: "john niolon" <jniolon@bham.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 12:19:15 -0600
I missed the first few threads so I might be in the dark here... but have
had to make this kind of repair before... both on phone lines and sprinkler
control lines.

I hit a buried conduit (gray & not very deep) with a post hole digger (about
a 4" break and had to repair.  I dug around the bad section about 8 inches
on either side and enough underneath to work with my hands.  This was 1"
conduit.  I cut a piece of 1.5" conduit and split it down the length and
about 1/8" wide.  I took out all the busted pieces of the old stuff and slid
the new piece over the bad section inserting the wires through the split.
When squeezed down it made a nice tight fit.  I slid the patch tube back
over one end and after cleaning with pvc cleaner, slathered on pvc glue.  I
got some glue from a plumber friend that gives you a little more time than
the normal stuff.  Did the same to the other end but it didn't get as good a
treatment cause time was running out.  Slid the patch in place and using
vice grips, clamped it tight to the broken conduit and let it sit for an
hour or so.

Came back later with a tube of silicon and a Nitrile glove and coated the
whole patch , top, bottom, sides and ends and about an inch or two out each
end with a thick coat of silicon...made a good old mess.... then let that
dry overnight.  Next day I wrapped the whole thing with 3m splicing tape
(#6147) this stuff is expensive but makes a watertight bond... (I got mine
at work :-) )  then finally with 3m vinyl tape, several layers.  I trust
this patch more than any of the joints in the whole run !!

I've never dug it up to check but everything is still working....  The split
tube is the easiest way to repair and your level of sealing is up to you...
At least coat it with silicon for sure..

john