Re: [Shop-talk] Stripped Screw heads

To: "Berry Kercheval" <berry@kerch.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Stripped Screw heads
From: "David Scheidt" <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 19:39:24 -0500
On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 6:55 PM, Berry Kercheval <berry@kerch.com> wrote:
> ejrussell@mebtel.net wrote:
>  > However, how often is it the only problem is the screw head
>  > is damaged - vs the screw head is damaged because the screw
>  > itself is corroded into oneness with whatever it is screwed
>  > into and prior attempts to remove said screw have thus
>  > damaged the screw head? In the latter case the 'damaged
>  > screw remover' is less effective.
>  >
>  Good point.  From time to time I've found various degrees of "force" to
>  work, roughly in order:
>
>  * a screwdriver
>  * a Very Big Screwdriver
>  * a Very Big scredriver and  vice-grips
>  * penetrating oil (appropriate for  the material; kroil for steel,
>  "Mouse Milk" for aluminium)
>  * penetrating oil and an impact driver
>  * heat
>  *Heat, penetrating oil (not at the same time!) and an impact driver
>  * drill for and use ez-out or other screw extractor

My rough order for any screw is

* hose down with penetrating oil.
* screwdriver/wrench
* hammer
* more penetrating oil
* bigger screwdriver
* bigger hammer
* swear
* air chisel

The chisel works really well on anything that's large enough diameter,
particularly if you're going to replace the damn thing the screw goes
into.  I have a better sucess rate with it than I do with drills and
easy outs.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com