Re: [Shop-talk] Stripped Screw heads

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Stripped Screw heads
From: Berry Kercheval <berry@kerch.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 15:55:37 -0800
ejrussell@mebtel.net wrote:
> However, how often is it the only problem is the screw head
> is damaged - vs the screw head is damaged because the screw
> itself is corroded into oneness with whatever it is screwed
> into and prior attempts to remove said screw have thus
> damaged the screw head? In the latter case the 'damaged
> screw remover' is less effective.

Good point.  From time to time I've found various degrees of "force" to
work, roughly in order:

* a screwdriver
* a Very Big Screwdriver
* a Very Big scredriver and  vice-grips
* penetrating oil (appropriate for  the material; kroil for steel,
"Mouse Milk" for aluminium)
* penetrating oil and an impact driver
* heat
*Heat, penetrating oil (not at the same time!) and an impact driver
* drill for and use ez-out or other screw extractor

and finally, when even the ez-out snaps, drill out the whole sucker and
clean up with a tap.  If very bad, drill for the next size bigger, tap,
and note in the logbook.