Re: [Shop-talk] Battery Closet Light

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Battery Closet Light
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 08:57:23 -0500
At 12:24 AM 2/17/2008 -0500, Rush wrote:

>I want to put one or two battery powered fluorescent lights in a closet,
>with a switch that will turn them on when the door is opened. I can't
>seem to find any that are ready made. I know I can probably hack
>together some camping lanterns and a hall effect switch to accomplish
>what I want,

Jon,

Instead of a Hall effect, which is active, and will draw power all the time,
why not use a micro switch.

You can take any light you like, especially if it has a switch on it, and
then run some wire 18 to 20 gauge should be large enough, in parallel with
the lamps switch, to a micro switch.  You could run the wire along the inside
top of the closet so it would not be very visable unless you were looking
for it.  Then mount the microswitch so that it is in the off position when
the closet is closed.  As the door opens, it would allow the microswitch
to open, thus completing the circuit and turning on the light.  This would
work very well for a battery operated light.

John

Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229

                       65 Rambler Classic