Re: [Shop-talk] Battery Closet Light

To: Rush <jdrush@enter.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Battery Closet Light
From: "David Scheidt" <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 00:47:37 -0500
On Feb 17, 2008 12:24 AM, Rush <jdrush@enter.net> wrote:
> I want to put one or two battery powered fluorescent lights in a closet,
> with a switch that will turn them on when the door is opened. I can't
> seem to find any that are ready made. I know I can probably hack
> together some camping lanterns and a hall effect switch to accomplish
> what I want, but I'd prefer something long and low profile, like an
> under cabinet lights. Appearances and packaging count here. I've googled
> and searched, and googled and searched and come up empty, so I am
> appealing to the power of the list hive mind to see if anyone knows of
> such a beast.
>
> I'm trying to distribute the light down the height of the closet, so as
> many shelves as possible are lit, which is why I'm looking for a long
> fixture. Can a tube of battery powered LEDs, like you sometimes see in
> decorations, provide enough light to illuminate the situation? Or do the
> LEDs require house voltage to work?

I have my doubts that you'll find such a thing.  A door switch
requires wires, and battery operated has the advantage of no wires.
See the problem?  There are any number of door switches that will work
-- easiest if it's a normal door, but they exist for sliding closet
doors too.  They're just switches, so there's no reason you couldn't
wire them to something, assuming the battery powered do hickey is easy
to modify.

There are battery powered LEDs.  LEDs are low voltage devices, so
they're well suited for that.

It occurs to me that you might be over thinking your problem.  Are you
worried that someone will turn the light on, and then forget to shut
it off, and run the batteries down?  There are battery lights for
closets and the like that have a timer in them.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com