Re: [Shop-talk] Trickle Chargers

To: "Jim Stone" <jandkstone99@msn.com>, "shop talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Trickle Chargers
From: "Karl Vacek" <kvacek@ameritech.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 07:57:26 -0600
I was talked out of the HF float chargers by other guys in the HF store both
times I looked at them.  They both claimed that the HF units can eat your
battery because the float circuit doesn't work.  A buddy had several and
they all died before eating any of his batteries.

I eventually bought a Battery Minder off eBay, liked it so much I bought
another one, and eventually bought their (way too expensive but approved by
the major aircraft battery manufacturers) aircraft-adjusted model for the
hangar.  They work beautifully, but like a Vector charger, they will NOT
charge a completely dead battery.  The circuit requires some minimum voltage
level on the battery before it starts charging.

Battery Minders also desulphate, which seems to have helped several of the
batteries I've used them on, including a small battery, once dead and then
it sat in the shop for many years uncharged.  Now it's fine.

Battery Minder also makes a solar unit.

Karl