Re: [Shop-talk] Does the ground ground? (GFCI Breaker)

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Does the ground ground? (GFCI Breaker)
From: "scottmryan" <scottmryan@netzero.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 16:54:59 -0600
> JAMES STONE wrote:
>> I replaced a porch light today and discovered that it was only wired with
>> 14-2
>> wire without a ground.  Since the light pole is set in concrete and
>> buried in
>> the ground, is it grounded?  Just curious.
<snip>
> You can supposedly hook up a GFCI breaker to protect a 2-wire circuit,
> but I don't know details on how to do it.
>
>   -Wayne

It's fairly easy to hook up a GFCI breaker in the electrical box, if I
remember correctly you hook the white wire out of the breaker to neutral
buss, and hook the neutral return (white wire from the porch light) to the
breaker. At least on the one I had worked on in a swimming pool lighting
circuit.
Good Luck! Scott R