[Shop-talk] FW: fiberglass repair question

To: "'shop-talk'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] FW: fiberglass repair question
From: "Paul Mele" <paul.mele@usermail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 11:59:58 -0500
List members:
I took the liberty of forwarding the fiberglass repair
question outside the list.
Shu is one of 7 people certified to work on commercial
aircraft composites/ repairs in our area.  We also own a
joint race car...

=============

Subject: RE: fiberglass repair question

Paul,

The fiberglass hot tub issues:   First, the gel coat is a
non-structural coating, not like fiberglass fusion with
epoxy as a structural parts, so don't worry about the gel
coat cracking (we call micro-cracking), this is not an
issues yet, until moisture get into the glass fiber
structure!  You can buy some epoxy paint just fill the
cracking gap will be alright for a long time!

But, if the internal fiberglass start cracking, this will
cause the leak ...... so the floor will get wet first before
you and your love one get wet!!!   Now you need to repair
the fiberglass surface by sanding the cracks in gel coat
surface all the way to fiber surface!   Rule of thumb is
keep sanding and follow the crack line until you find where
the line stop, and also sand to the layer of fiberglass
where the cracks stop before repair.   You can buy any
fiberglass repair kit in auto parts shop will work just
fine. Of course still have a lot of sanding after the repair
to make it pretty.

Personal, I don't recommends put to much time and pay big
money for repair a hot tub, use the same amount of time and
money buying your love one a Christmas gift will work just
the same result.

Good luck for hot tub repairs.......... handyman.....

Shu