Re: [Shop-talk] Well, I knew it was coming! (very shop related)

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Well, I knew it was coming! (very shop related)
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 15:03:34 -0500
At 11:02 AM 11/19/2007 -0500, Moose wrote:
>Well, my rich uncle decided it was time for me to go back to the big
>sandbox for an extended stay.....

Moose/Inch,

Sorry to hear that.  But best of luck, and you'll be in our thoughts and
prayers.  Stay safe, and keep your guard up.

>Truck.  I get an insurance break if itbs not being used.  What is the best
>way to prepare a vehicle for a one year stay in storage?   Is climate
>controlled storage better?  Should I drain any fluids?  Should I leave it
>on a lift or on the ground?

My thoughts on your list, would be:

1. Drain all the gas you can out of any internal combustion engine, and then
   run until the carb. is dry.

   This is based on the problems I have with my Morgan.  Everyyear when I
   take it out, I have to drain the old gas, and flush the lines, clean the
   carb and fuel pump.  You'd think I'd learn.

   The new gas doesn't stay volital very long, and can really mess things
   up.

   You might want to pull the plugs and squirt some heavy oil in and rotate
the engine over by hand a couple of times to coat the cylinder walls.

Other fluids like oil, coolant, and brake fluid, can stay.

Before trying to start any of the engines when you return, be sure to pull
the plugs and turn them over some to get the oil flowing.

Anything like you lift should be kept in an unstrained position.  Again the
lift should be down.  That way the cables are having to support the lift
for the entire time your gone.  Springs aren't spring etc.

It wouldn't hurt to put vechiles up on stands so the tires don't flat spot.
But I don't think that is really necessary.  But if you have the time and
enough stands, it wouldn't hurt.

>Compressor? (should I leave the drain valve open?)

I wouldn't.  That would just allow more air/moisture in.  I'd drain it,
and try and get as much moisture out as you can.  Then just leave it sit.
Unfortunately, the manufactures don't make it easy to coat the cyl walls
on these with oil.

>Now, I fully expect to get the emails likeb&  bLet me have them, and Ibll
>use them while you are gone!b  So donbt bother sending them.  8>)

John

Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229

                       65 Rambler Classic