Re: [Shop-talk] Well, I knew it was coming! (very shop related)

To: eric@megageek.com
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Well, I knew it was coming! (very shop related)
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 12:59:22 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007, eric@megageek.com wrote:
> Well, my rich uncle decided it was time for me to go back to the big
> sandbox for an extended stay.  This summer, Ibll be leaving for Iraq
> for a year.  My question is, what state should I leave certain items.
> Here is my listb& (note, everything will be stored in an garage, out of
> the elements.) I would prefer to prepare all items in a state of bready
> to useb as I might be able to come back once or twice during the year.
> But will do what is best.
>
> Truck.  I get an insurance break if itbs not being used.  What is the
> best way to prepare a vehicle for a one year stay in storage?  Is
> climate controlled storage better?  Should I drain any fluids?  Should I
> leave it on a lift or on the ground?
>
> Motorcycles. I have two.  What should I do with them?

For the truck & the motorcycles, I'd store them in the air, off the tires.
Stabil is supposedly good for a year, and the nice thing is that stuff is
ready to go if you come back in a few months.  I'd add the stabil & fill
the gas tanks completely, then run the engines for a while to get it
distributed.  Change the oil so that anything in there can't screw with
the bearings.  Remove the batteries and put them on a battery tender.

If you can come back before the year is up, put the battery in and go.

> Lawn mower?
>
> Weed wacker?

I'd run them outta gas, clean them, and call it good.

> Compressor? (should I leave the drain valve open?

I've never heard of anything special for compressor storage.  I'd close
off any valves and leave it.

> ATC?

4 wheeler?  I'd do the same as for the truck/bikes.

> Scuba gear?

No clue at all.  Maybe some rubber conditioner?

> Now, I fully expect to get the emails likeb& bLet me have them, and
> Ibll use them while you are gone!b So donbt bother sending them.
> 8>)

Another choice with the truck would be to have a buddy come take it for an
hour drive or so every month.

Mark