[Shop-talk] wheel balancers

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shop-talk] wheel balancers
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 16:07:13 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

Anyone out there know much about wheel balancers?

This is one of the cheapest ones I've found:

http://www.americasprideonline.com/wheel-balancer-1016071-3-1.ViewProduct

It looks basically like all the wheel balancers I've used at friend's
shops in the past, but I'm wondering what all the differences are between
a higher end balancer and a cheap one like this.

Basically, I care more about the ability to get a good balance rather than
how long it takes (within reason) to do so.  So if one balancer will
require me to recalibrate it every now and then or something like that I
don't care, but I DO care if one balancer will provide a better balance
than another.

I've yet to ever use a wheel balancer at a shop that didn't "work" for me,
in the sense that I could always get a balance that felt correct out on
the road.

Should I just get a cheap one or spend more (or less :-) to get something
different?

Thanks!

Mark

(btw, yes with the racing & other vehicle maintenance I do, one of these
cheaper wheel balancers will pay for itself over time, even if I don't
count the convience of having my own balancer)