Re: [Shop-talk] Rebuild a hand drill?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Rebuild a hand drill?
From: David Hillman <hillman@planet-torque.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 15:53:48 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 12 Nov 2007, Mark Sansouci wrote:
> It would please me to have that drill rebuilt, but I expect its getting
> difficult to find such a service today.  I am not aware of anyone in the
> Rochester NY area.   Can anyone recommend someone you would trust with a
> memory?

    Related question follows... I have a DeWalt 18v cordless drill, much
more recent than what Mark has, probably about 5 years old.  It died on me
Sunday, and I ran out and replaced it with another because I was in the
middle of a project, and needed new batteries anyway.

    But when I say "died", I mean that loosely, so I think it might be
fixable.  The trigger is stuck "in", and when I flip the direction switch
one way, it runs wildly ( and makes sparks ).  In t'other, it does
nothing.

    If it's not too much trouble, I'd like to fix the old one and keep it
as a beater/loaner drill.  I'm thinking that since the trigger appears
mechanically jammed, something must have broken inside... either a return
spring, or something nearby.  How likely am I to be able to buy
replacement parts for a reasonable cost?  A whole new drill ( sans
batteries ) on eBay is only ~$70, so buying parts quickly stops making
sense.

    Thanks.

--
  David Hillman