Re: [Shop-talk] EE question

To: tr3driver@ca.rr.com
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] EE question
From: "Matt" <mbarre@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2007 21:33:41 GMT
Definitely lead acid for us.  OEMs often use NiCad but they are pricey and
come with the risk of thermal runaway at no extra charge...   I hear the risk
of TR isn't what it used to be when they first came out with nicads, but some
herky lead acids seem to be a popular retrofit.  Plus you can ship them if you
find yourself low on juice somewhere.
It also looks like there are quite a few UPS for sale with the caveat "needs
batteries"!

Matt

-- "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com> wrote:
> I know there are 28V Li-ion tool chargers but I don't think
> they would work for lead acid.

Are you sure they are lead-acid ?  The ones my helicopter pilot buddy used
to give me were nickel-cadmium.

FWIW, some APC UPS units at least used to have external battery connections.