Re: [Shop-talk] EE question

To: dmscheidt@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] EE question
From: "Matt" <mbarre@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2007 20:34:33 GMT
Doohhhh!   in my best Homer Simpson voice...
They typically read 24-26 volts.
That is good news, I am sure that your are right and there should be some off
the shelf components to make this easier...
Matt

-- "David Scheidt" <dmscheidt@gmail.com> wrote:
On 11/3/07, Matt <mbarre@juno.com> wrote:
> Our flight department generates some nice 28V batteries that have a time
limit
> in the planes but have a lot of life still in them.  I was thinking of
making
> a UPS with them.  I guess it would mean a 28V float charger and in inverter
> that would work off 28V.

Is it really a "28V" battery?  How many cells does it have?  I have a
feeling that they're called 28V batteries because it's used in a 28V
electrical system, but the rest of the non-aviation world calls them
24V.  If that's the case, you'll be able to use stuff intended for
marine or heavy-duty truck use, which is cheaper.

David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com