Re: [Shop-talk] EE question

To: Matt <mbarre@juno.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] EE question
From: "David Scheidt" <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2007 15:11:31 -0400
On 11/3/07, Matt <mbarre@juno.com> wrote:
> Our flight department generates some nice 28V batteries that have a time limit
> in the planes but have a lot of life still in them.  I was thinking of making
> a UPS with them.  I guess it would mean a 28V float charger and in inverter
> that would work off 28V.
> A 28V to 110AC inverter should be a relatively common aircraft item.  Finding
> one no longer flight worthy would be the way to go.
> I know there are 28V Li-ion tool chargers but I don't think they would work
> for lead acid.
> Any ideas from the group?  How hard would it be to have someone  with the
> capability draw up the design and I build from components?  It doesn't have to
> look pretty.

Is it really a "28V" battery?  How many cells does it have?  I have a
feeling that they're called 28V batteries because it's used in a 28V
electrical system, but the rest of the non-aviation world calls them
24V.  If that's the case, you'll be able to use stuff intended for
marine or heavy-duty truck use, which is cheaper.

> Thanks,
> Matt

David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com