Re: [Shop-talk] Update: Remote electric meter readout

To: Michael Lye <mlye@risd.edu>, Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Update: Remote electric meter readout
From: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 13:52:04 -0700 (PDT)
I tried using a couple of those motion detector
switches with my garage lights, but gave up.  There
were several problems:

1:  Many electronic light switches do not get along
with fluorescent bulbs.  My fixtures started buzzing
and flickering.

3: The ligths have 3-way switches, and it is hard to
find a electronic switch that works in that type of
circuit.

3: It gets real hot in my garage, and in the summer
the motion detector would stop working in the
afternoons, and leave the lights on all the time.

I like the concept all the various home automation
gizmos, but they fact that they have to be retrofitted
into a century-old wiring architecture makes them a
pain to use...

Doug