Re: [Shop-talk] Update: Remote electric meter readout

To: 'Shop-Talk List' <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Update: Remote electric meter readout
From: Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 15:12:29 -0400
One of the things I've been looking for is a way to put a timer on
lights.  Not a schedule type timer, but a "shut off after 15 minutes"
type of thing.  Philips used to have "IQ" light bulbs with this
function built in, but they discontinued them a while ago.  They
would also blink a minute before shutoff for a warning, which was
nice.  So far I've found devices that screw in between the fixture
and the bulb that provide this function.  They add length though, so
if there's not a lot of room you have to use the short bulbs usually
used for ceiling fans.  They're OK for a closet, but not very
sensible for a set of fixtures or fixtures with multiple bulbs.  I've
also found some switches that perform this function.  Most of them
are electronic things with buttons for different intervals.  I don't
want that.  I just want to flip the switch on or off like I always do
without having to figure out which little buttons to push.  I did
find one switch that's close to what I want, but it is a little
expensive.  I haven't found a "wire in" version that would provide
this function without changing the switch.  That might be nice.  Of
course none of this would be very smart on stairs.  Don't want lights
going of by themselves there.

http://www.barbecues.com/1/1/15705-intermatic-electronic-automatic-shutoff-timer-ei15mh.html