Re: [Shop-talk] getting tile and mortar off a slab?

To: scott.hall@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] getting tile and mortar off a slab?
From: Pat Horne <roadsters@hornesystemstx.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 17:30:49 -0500
Scott,

Sounds like you are trying all the things that have worked for me in the
past. I generally use a chisel to get the tile up, then just hit what is
left of the mortar with a large hammer, no chisel. Then finish off what
is left with a chisel and hammer.

I doubt any acid would take it off, so grinding may be your only choice.
It will be really dusty, so I hope you haven't moved in yet! For the
smaller areas where the grinder won't fit, try a body grinder with a
carbide wheel on it, it might help out. You also might contact some of
the local tile folks to find out what they would use to get the concrete
flat again.

Good luck.

Peace,
Pat

 Thusly spake scott.hall@comcast.net:
> I'm trying to break up the tile floor on the new house to install the new
>tile and wood flooring.
>
> damn.
>
> this stuff is on there like nothing I've ever seen, and it's only slightly
>thinner and a satillo tile.  I'm getting up the tile--slowly, but a lot of the
>mortar is proving permanent.  won't yield to a hammer, and I'm afraid too much
>more pounding is just going to gouge the slab.  chisels and scrapers might as
>well be made of plastic.
>
> any ideas on how to get back to a smooth slab?  muriatic acid?  I thought of
>renting a grinder if I could, but some of the bathrooms are probably too small
>for it to do much good in there.
>
> thanks in advance.
>
> scott

Pat Horne, Owner, Horne Systems
(512) 797-7501 Voice            5026 FM 2001
www.hornesystemstx.com