[Shop-talk] getting tile and mortar off a slab?

Subject: [Shop-talk] getting tile and mortar off a slab?
From: scott.hall@comcast.net
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 21:57:22 +0000
I'm trying to break up the tile floor on the new house to install the new tile
and wood flooring.

damn.

this stuff is on there like nothing I've ever seen, and it's only slightly
thinner and a satillo tile.  I'm getting up the tile--slowly, but a lot of the
mortar is proving permanent.  won't yield to a hammer, and I'm afraid too much
more pounding is just going to gouge the slab.  chisels and scrapers might as
well be made of plastic.

any ideas on how to get back to a smooth slab?  muriatic acid?  I thought of
renting a grinder if I could, but some of the bathrooms are probably too small
for it to do much good in there.

thanks in advance.

scott