Re: [Shop-talk] Dishwasher - leaky pump

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Dishwasher - leaky pump
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 19:30:39 -0400
At 04:41 PM 9/23/2007 -0700, Jack Brooks wrote:

>Thirteen year old dishwasher with a leaky pump.  This is the first issue we
>have had in the six years since owning the house.
>
>Two question arise:
>
>1. Pull and possibly repair or replace the pump or buy new.

Jack,

Are you planing on doing the work or having it done?  I had the motor seal
go on my old dishwasher.  I was going to do it myself.  Spent one evening
getting the motor out, another tearing it down.  Then went to get the
parts.  Turns out you can't replace just the seal.  Which was fine since
I broke the impeller trying to take it apart.  The motor/pump/seal was one
unit - non repairable.  Cost was over $100 just for the part.  When it
went the 2nd time, I went out and looked at new ones.  Got Tappan / Frigidaire
for about $250.  It was a piece of cake to install.

At 13yrs old, I agree with others, buy a new one!  If I have an appliance
that is over 10 yrs old, and it fails, I replace it.  Unless it is something
easy to fix, like new heating coils for an clothes dryer, or the defrost
resistors on a refrig.

>2. If I buy new, and the budget is $500-900, what suggestions can you make,
>especially for quieter machines?  It does not have to be whisper quite, as
>we run it right before heading up to bed.  Hearing it run while we are in
>the kitchen would be fine.

Based on what others have said, you might try looking at ClarkHoward.com.
He's a firm believer in NOT going TOP of the line.  But it depends on your
house and what you want.  He's talked about the reliability of many of the
home appliances and says that for a washing machine or dryer you can get
an excellent one for about $300.  Which is what I spent on my new GE
electric dryer a few months ago.

John

Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229