Re: [Shop-talk] Source (or alternative) for Phosphoric Acid

To: temporarilyoffline@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Source (or alternative) for Phosphoric Acid
From: "Karl Vacek" <kvacek@ameritech.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 09:42:04 -0500
There's another product that's readily available and seems similar to that
Hirsh product in that it leaves a vinyl-based phosphate coating on the
steel.  Rust Oleum Rust Reformer.  Just paint it on after removing all loose
rust, and let it dry.  It's paintable, and in fact should be painted to
protect it from weathering, but I've left treated things outside unprotected
for over a year and it's held up pretty well, often perfectly.

I've never used it in a fuel tank, but it's worth testing.

Most any hardware store or home center should have it.

Karl