Re: [Shop-talk] Source (or alternative) for Phosphoric Acid

To: "JAMES STONE" <jandkstone99@msn.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Source (or alternative) for Phosphoric Acid
From: "Karl Vacek" <kvacek@ameritech.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 09:18:48 -0500
Sunnyside and Kleen-Strip (Savogran?) - companies that market various
solvents like mineral spirits, naphtha, MEK, acetone, toluol, etc. etc. in
paint and hardware stores - still have phosphoric acid in their lines.  Here
in the Chicago area we can get it at some Menards, Home Depot, and Lowe's
stores, but it's apparently not all that popular or well-known.  Maybe a
professional paint place ??  It's sometimes used for concrete etching,
though muriatic (hydrochloric) acid is more commonly used for that.  We used
to buy "Crete Nu" - a concrete etcher that was just phosphoric acid with no
other additives, and it was cheap.  DuPont still sells Metal Prep through
automotive paint jobbers, though it'll cost a little more.  And as
mentioned, there's the POR15 product that you might be able to get locally
if there's a dealer near you.

Karl