Re: [Shop-talk] Source (or alternative) for Phosphoric Acid

To: JAMES STONE <jandkstone99@msn.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Source (or alternative) for Phosphoric Acid
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 19:43:55 -0700
James,

Various "metal prep" chemicals are phosphoric acid-based (probably with some
surfactants--i.e. soap--added in).  Try Googling "metalprep" or "metal
prep."

Here's a popular one:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/improvedmetalprep.php

Note it gets diluted before use (but you can use it full-strength, too).

FWIW, "Naval Jelly" contains phosphoric acid, and I've heard that Coke
(the legal kind ;)
has mild (obviously) phosphoric acid content and is a good rust remover
(I'd stick with
metal prep, though).

bs