Re: [Shop-talk] Satellite Internet Service

To: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Satellite Internet Service
From: Pat Horne <roadsters@hornesystemstx.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 10:19:27 -0500
Depending on which WISP I can get a signal from I generally use Canopy
equipment  and have not seen any rain fade at home. My link is just
under 15 miles from the tower. I wonder if your WISP has their radios
set up for synchronous connectivity. My WISP had problems with drop outs
until they synchronized all their equipment.

I also have another link using 802.11g that runs to a different WISP,
about 5 miles away. It doesn't seem to be as reliable as the Canopy
link, but that could be because of the provider, rather than my
particular connection.

Some of the areas I cover are rather hilly. I have put up several 50'
masts on top of buildings to get the antenna high enough to reach a
tower. I have some pictures of one installation on my web site,
http://www.hornesystemstx.com/Horne%20Systems1.htm if you are interested.

If your friend has access to an 802.11 radio and directional antenna, it
might be worth pointing it off in all directions to see what he can
find. Never can tell where someone will put up a mesh node or WISP antenna.

Thusly spake David Scheidt:

--
Pat Horne, Owner, Horne Systems
(512) 797-7501 Voice            5026 FM 2001