Re: [Shop-talk] Satellite Internet Service

To: "Elton E. (Tony) Clark" <eltonclark@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Satellite Internet Service
From: Pat Horne <roadsters@hornesystemstx.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 08:44:14 -0500
Tony,

I agree with what others  said about satellite service. I personally
have not had it either, but s couple neighbors do. They use it mainly
for email and surfing the web, so they like it. There are several
problems that have not been brought up yet though. Just like the outage
you get on satellite TV when it rains, you have the same problem on the
internet service. I also understand that the satellite providers require
upgrades of the feed horn every couple of years, which is at the
subscriber's expense. (I have not been able to verify this one as the
two local users have not had their service that long.)

Has your friend looked to see if there is a ground based wireless
internet provider in the area? Actually, I do installs for this type of
service for rural folks in the Central Texas area. I've done links up to
20 miles from the tower that work just fine. The ground based wireless
does not go out during rain storms, does not suffer from the delays, and
usually costs less than satellite service.

Peace,
Pat

Thusly spake Elton E. (Tony) Clark:

--
Pat Horne, Owner, Horne Systems
(512) 797-7501 Voice            5026 FM 2001