Re: [Shop-talk] Airline Piping

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Airline Piping
From: wmc_st@xxiii.com
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2007 10:51:10 -0400
At 11:32 PM 8/17/2007, Rich White wrote:
>I did not think acid core solder was to be used on copper?
>I was taught that the acid would eventually eat through the copper.
>This is why pluming and electronics used rosin core solder.

Tin/Lead solder with acid flux [usually external, not core] was the
norm for copper plumbing for years.  They switched to lead free
solder for health concerns [I've always thought silly] sometime in
the 90s.  The flux used is still very reactive;  I'm not sure exactly
what is it or how acidic.

And yes, acid flux will ruin electronic components.  On plumbing
you're supposed to wipe it off the outside, and any inside will be
flushed away.

>You might consider ChemAire from Nibco.  See
>http://www.nibco.com/assets/ChmairOvrw.pdf

That looks like some really snazzy stuff!  I hate to think what they
charge for it!

   -Wayne