Re: [Shop-talk] Airline Piping

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Airline Piping
From: "David C." <cavanadd@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 19:29:05 -0700
At 09:57 AM  8/16/2007  -0500, Gil Fuqua wrote:
>You can install a similar piping layout to the one suggested by TIP with
>parts from the plumbing section of Home Depot or Lowes.  About the only
>item you can't find is the flexible line that connects the compressor to
>the hard pipe.
>
>Consider feeding the air line from the compressor into a T fitting from
>the side (see below).  The bottom of the fitting should have a drain so
>that moisture that condenses on the pipe will not drain back into the
>compressor.  Also add an automatic drain on the tank that periodically
>cycles on in order to drain off moisture from the tank.  I collect the
>majority of the moisture from these two drains on my system.  The one at
>the end of the line seldom needs draining.

With the exception of the auto drain, which I have yet to purchase (any
recommendations?) this is how I plumbed my shop earlier this summer after I
got my new air compressor.  I installed a 3/4" hard copper "backbone" from
the compressor up the wall, across the trusses the length of the shop (48
feet) and down the other end.  Each end has a T fitting with the outlet out
the side and a dirt leg and a drain valve below it.  The side drops are
1/2" copper coming off a T (pointing up) in the main line.  Each side drop
also has a T  with a dirt leg, but I haven't gotten around to installing
valves on the ends, so they are just plugged for now.  I also installed a
moisture separator/filter and regulator on the compressor tank outlet, and
I run the main line at 80 psi, and the tank cycles between 120 and 130
pounds.  The main line slopes 6" in 48 feet from the compressor end to the
other end.  I connected the compressor to the main piping using 3/4" hose
barbed fittings and a length of 3/4" air compressor hose I bought from an
industrial supplier for about 75 cents a foot; I bought 3 feet and used
about half of it.  All pipe and fittings were bought at Home Depot, and I
soft soldered it using a roll of 20 year old acid core solder and paste
flux.  So far it's been great; I am using my air tools and sprayers a LOT
more just because the air is available and so convenient.  I set it up so
no location in the shop is more then 12 feet from an air drop.  I also
installed a Harbor Freight retractable hose reel setup at each end of the
shop, about seven feet up.  I bought them on sale two years ago and they
were just waiting patiently for the new compressor and piping.  They seem
to work fine so far, too.

Dave C