Re: [Shop-talk] Airline Piping

To: "wmc_st@xxiii.com" <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Airline Piping
From: "David Scheidt" <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 20:56:41 -0400
On 8/15/07, wmc_st@xxiii.com <wmc_st@xxiii.com> wrote:
> At 04:35 PM 8/15/2007, David Scheidt wrote:
> >easier if that's in a corner, of course. On that drop, connect the
> >down pipe to the bottom of the loop piping. Attach the compressor
> >several feet from the end of that drop, with a tee fitting. Put a
>
> These guys have a nice diagram, and all the fittings. Although at
> somewhat high prices.
> http://www.tptools.com/StaticText/airline-piping-diagram.pdf

The problem with the setup in their illustration is that they've got
the drain at the opposite end of the pipe from the compressor.  It's
my experience that once the fairly hot and moisture-laden air hits the
metal piping, it cools off very quickly.  That causes much of the
moisture to condense out.  That happens in the first few feet of pipe.
 The way they've got it set up, all of that water drains into the
compressor tank.  I'd much rather have it drain into a few feet of
dead end pipe, with a valve on it.  I do like the way they've got a
drain on every drop.  Make sure you keep them high enough off the
ground to get a bucket under them.

I'd also suggest equipping the compressor with an automatic tank drain.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com