[Shop-talk] Air compressor hook up

To: "shop-talk List" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Air compressor hook up
From: "David C." <cavanadd@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2007 18:44:28 -0700
Sorry if this is a duplicate post but I don't know if the previous post
went through.

I'm replacing my old 3 HP portable air compressor with a 5 HP vertical
stationary model.  The old compressor has a lever on the pressure switch
assembly so I can switch it on and off and I normally leave it off when I'm
not in the shop.  The new compressor has similar pressure switch but no
lever.  For the time being I guess I'll switch it on and off at the breaker
as I don't want to leave it energized when I'm not in the shop, which is
mostly on weekends.   There's no reason to keep it energized and
pressurized when I don't need it.  None of the hardware stores sell a
separate disconnect (other than an AC "pull out" disconnect) so I wonder
what you folks do?  Will I  have to go to Graingers and get a disconnect
switch?

The thing was also shipped, according to the manual, without oil, although
a little is showing in the sight glass.  The instructions said to use ISO
100 compressor oil, single weight non detergent motor oil (no weight given)
or 5w30 or 10w30 Mobil 1 Synthetic.  That seems mutually exclusive as ND
oil is designed to let the crap and particulate settle into the crankcase,
and multiweight automotive motor oils are designed to keep it all in
suspension so the oil filter (which the compressor doesn't have) can filter
it out.  I was able to get a couple of quarts of "compressor oil" but I
suspect 20 or 30 ND would work just as well.  Any opinions?