Re: [Shop-talk] Socket holders

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Socket holders
From: "cornerexit" <cornerexit@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 12:05:31 -0700
Thanks for the replies everyone. I had not seen these plastic stick versions
before. They look like they would work well, although by my calculations I
would need to 7 sets (one set = one 1/4, one 3/8, one 1/2) of these things
at $10 each in order to accommodate this tool kit.

I pulled out the inventory list for this tool kit I got him and it has 14
sets of sockets in it, 1/4drive, 3/8drive, 1/2drive, metric, std, 12pt, 6pt,
deep, std etc. To complicate matters even more, each of these socket sets
have differing quantities of sockets in them. For example one set may have 8
sockets and another set will have 12 sockets. It looks to me like those
plastic sticks are only long enough to accommodate X number of sockets each.
This of course means that we will end up with a couple of "stray" sockets
from the set. I suppose this would be a problem with any socket storage
rack/method.

Hmm, not sure what to do now. Two of the 14 sets are 12pt. I suppose I could
prune those out as they have 6pt duplicates except the 12pt go two sizes
larger (could put those with the 6pt set I guess).

Of course there is no guarantee my son will even put the sockets back on the
racks anyway I suppose (I was not real organized when I was 18). Arghh, this
is exactly the kind of aggravation I hopped to avoid by buying this tool set
with the "fitted" tool case.

Wayne