Re: [Shop-talk] Socket holders

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Socket holders
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2007 18:15:13 -0400
At 08:44 PM 7/1/2007 -0400, David Scheidt wrote:

>> What do you use for socket holders/racks?
>
>I very much prefer socket rails, with springy clip things, for sockets
>that I carry around.  It makes it very easy to grab the 3/8" drive
>standard set, and know I've got a complete set.  It's also easy to
>make sure that you've got the whole set when you're done.  I've also
>got the magnetic things.  They stay in the tool box, I dont' think
>they hold sockets well enough.  I've also got a peg thing in one the
>socket drawers, which works okay for stuff that stays in the drawer,
>but they're very space inefficient.

I have to agree with David.  I have the metal rails with the little metal
clips.  Yes they rust, and yes getting sockets off/on and seeing what size
they are can be a pain.  But that can be fixed with the aid of the flat
blade screwdriver you have laying around.  But I hate walking back to my
tool box everytime I need a socket.  They are cheap enough that if they do
really rust, they can be replaced.  I've had mine for over 10 yrs.  So they
don't owe me anything.

I'm restoring 1 car in my garage so the garage is full.  If I'm working on
one of the daily drivers, I have to work in the drive way.  So when I know
I need a 3/8" or 1/2" set, I walk to the shop, grab which ever size and
type (metric, SAE, shallow or deep dish) and carry them back to the work
area.  Now I've got all of what I may need right there where I'm working!

My 1/2" impact sockets came from HF.  I have 4 sets of these, 1 SAE and 1
Metric, of both shallow and deep dish.  These are in metal cases.  Currently
they sit on the side of the tool box, as there isn't enough room in the
box.

I've got a set of SAE and metric 3/8" drive that came in the old metal
trays with the swing up rail.  That's not too bad, as I can grab the tray
and carry it out to the driveway.  What I hate about them, is I'm for
ever knocking them over and having all the sockets roll all over the place.

I've got 2 1/4" socket sets, one Craftsman the other a no name, both came
in plastic cases.  I really like these as the have the sizes imbossed in
the plastic.  The problem with them is the hinges are just thin plastic
strips as is the clasps.  Over the years the hinges have broken as so has
the clasps.  I really wish Sears would make replacement cases for these
but they don't.

I keep the sockets in the top of my tool box.  All the ratchets, breaker
bars, extensions and universals are in 1 drawer.

The nice part about having the sticks or any device similar is that you
can tell if you've left a socket someplace!

Now all this talk about socket sets, I guess the next question is how many
socket sets does every one have?

John

Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229