Re: [Shop-talk] Levelling bookcases

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Levelling bookcases
From: Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 00:18:44 -0400
On Jun 16, 2007, at 8:03 PM, Randall wrote:

> An oddball suggestion : Why not trim the bookcases to match the
> floor ?
> Shim them up temporarily, then use a pencil & spacer block to mark
> the edge
> up from the floor and trim away the excess wood.

I'm far too lazy to stage them, mark the location and re-place for
scribing. :-)
(The same goes for making a false floor- it'd be nice & stable but I
don't have the tools or patience to make one that'd look nice enough. )

Besides, they're essentially chipboard so they'd likely crumble if I
tried to get fancy with the jigsaw. And it'd be a slight compound
curve, the floor that curved. Much easier to shim.

I like the plastic shim idea, I'll hunt around. I've seen the door
frame sized plastic ones.

I think birch is still too soft and will compress.

Thanks for all the ideas. Just making sure there wasn't a "oak shims
for bookcases" product I was missing out on.

jim