Re: [Shop-talk] Levelling bookcases

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Levelling bookcases
From: ejrussell@mebtel.net
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 00:45:52 -1200
Is there enough thickness in the bottom of the shelves to
install some tee-nuts and then screw in bolts as adjustable
levelers?

I doubt that even pine shims would be too soft. If you are
convinced that they'd compress you could slightly over
compensate as you install the shims.

Are the backs of the shelves strong? You could screw through
the backs into the wall studs. I suppose the walls are not
plumb either...

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC

> I'm far too lazy to stage them, mark the location and
> re-place for   scribing. :-)
> (The same goes for making a false floor- it'd be nice &
> stable but I   don't have the tools or patience to make
> one that'd look nice enough. )
>
> Besides, they're essentially chipboard so they'd likely
> crumble if I   tried to get fancy with the jigsaw. And
> it'd be a slight compound   curve, the floor that curved.
> Much easier to shim.
>
> I like the plastic shim idea, I'll hunt around. I've seen
> the door   frame sized plastic ones.
>
> I think birch is still too soft and will compress.
>
> Thanks for all the ideas. Just making sure there wasn't a
> "oak shims   for bookcases" product I was missing out on.
>
> jim
Login from home, work, school.  Anywhere!