RE: Strain Gauge Based Torque Wrench

To: "Kai M. Radicke" <kradicke@wishboneclassics.com>,
Subject: RE: Strain Gauge Based Torque Wrench
From: "Mullen, Tim" <Tim.Mullen@ngc.com>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 10:40:56 -0400
Kai M. Radicke wrote:

> Take a look at Craftsman's latest nifty tool, go to
> www.sears.com and input part number 47712.

The advantage to that torque wrench is the "whiz factory".

But, from the description, you have to observe the digital display
to determine the torque that you are applying - similar to a beam
type of torque wrench but with a digital display.  That might be
great when you can actually watch the display, but I often use
torque wrenches in odd positions where I can't see the scale.
That's why I like my various "clickers".  They are just as
accurate, and can be used in any orientation, even in positions
that I could not even see a scale.

As for the wide range, I have at least one clicker torque
wrench with a range of 20 to 250 ft-lbs - it's for the heavy
stuff.  My other five torque wrenches cover various torque
values in smaller/lower ranges - 5 to 80 ft-lbs, inch lbs, etc.

It might be a nice torque wrench to replace the expensive
dial type of beam torque wrenches, but other than that,
I'll keep my clickers...

Tim Mullen