bench top

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: bench top
From: "old dirtbeard" <dirtbeard@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 17:46:31 -0800
Hi guys,

I am going to build a 8'x2' work bench along the side of my home garage (it is
an "inset" that will clear the parked vehicles. I have a heavy duty Hercules
welded steel 7'X3' workbench with a large vice, etc., and this second bench
will be for lighter work and additional surface area.

I looked in McMaster-Carr, and they have some nice options in maple, etc., but
I can attach this to the wall on two sides and put 4"x4" legs, 2"x4" perimeter
framing, etc.

I had a bench at my old hourse that a very talented wood worker built using
milled 2"x4" laying flat as the surface. I walked through HD today and saw
3/4" particle board and plywood that looked pretty good for such a shallow
bench.

My question to the list is if you were building this as your second bench,
would you consider decking the workbench with:
  a.. 2"x4" or 2"x6" running perpendicular to the wall (standing one would be
facing the end cuts)
  b.. 3/4" particle board
  c.. 3/4" plywood
  d.. other?
And if you would use a wood surface, would you treat the wood with:
  a.. mineral oil
  b.. polyurathane
  c.. other?
Thanks guys, this is going to be my second bench and does not need the 10,000
lb. capacity that my Hercules/Little giant welded steel bench has.

Oh, it will be used mostly for motorcycle and British car work, along with the
normal house and yard stuff.

best,

doug

'72 BSA B50SS