RE: 2 vs. 4 post lifts

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: 2 vs. 4 post lifts
From: "cornerexit" <cornerexit@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 18:55:28 -0800
I have a two post bendpak asymmetric 10k lift that works for most of my
applications (mostly working on the race car).

- The bendpak uses a cable system to actuate the safety cogs; no air is
required with this lift.

- I picked mine up at the freight terminal because my private road is not
truck friendly.

- The lift is packaged such that it is picked up from the long direction by
the forklift. The forklift driver at the terminal was too lazy to put the
fork extensions on and as a result the tips of the forks put a huge
gouge/scrape down the backside of one of the columns. Make sure the forklift
driver uses the fork extensions.

- I've found the two post lift to be more useful for other type of shop
lifting activities than the four posts. I can lift all kinds of odd
shaped/weighted things to working height using one set of arms, Lawn
tractors etc. I can hang a small electric hoist or chainfall across the top
of the two columns (may need to be braced or beefed up) and use the area
between the columns to place things to be hoisted (engine removal etc).

I've been able to position the arms such that they lifted a very heavy metal
lathe up to working height when refurbishing it. When I had a ton of welding
to do on a bunch of small parts I was able of lift the entire welding table
to a more back friendly working height.

- having said that, there some jobs that the four post is just the ticket
for as mentioned in some of the previous posts. For example, due to a rule
change I have to change the door bar configuration on both sides of the roll
cage in my race car. This involves cutting welding fabricating on both sides
of the car (doors have to come off). Modifying an existing cage is a pain as
it is, but being able to position the car at a more back friendly height for
this particular work would be just the ticket on a four post. This will be
impossible to do using my two post lift.

Wayne