Re: An off-topic question....

To: "Gerald Brazil" <gerrybraz@cablespeed.com>
Subject: Re: An off-topic question....
From: "Karl Vacek" <kvacek@ameritech.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 18:08:27 -0600
If the Internet broadcaster a major radio station, etc., they probably have
this well covered, but if the problem is with the Internet broadcaster and
he's a small-time operator, he might have the bit rate set too high.  For a
talk show, 16 to 60 Kbits is enough.  Music is OK at that rate too, but the
fidelity isn't great.  It should work fine even on a dial-up line.

A friend of ours does an Internet show twice a week and for a while he had
lots of complaints about buffering despite the bit rate being set low
enough.  It turned out to be his service provider.  He's got huge bandwidth
at his studio, many times what any home user can get, but somewhere in the
line between him and his bandwidth provider the line was being choked down.
All his listeners would begin buffering about the same time because the
provider wasn't giving him the bandwidth he was paying for.

Karl