Drawing program

To: <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Drawing program
From: "cornerexit" <cornerexit@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 08:23:28 -0800
I am doing some remodeling to the house, adding a home office, a bay window,
etc.

Would like have some sort of drawing program that at a minimum would give me
some 2D perspective on interior layout, but preferably some 3D perspective
on how things are going to fit together, how the remodel will look when
completed etc. It would be really great if said program could produce scaled
construction drawings and extrapolate a material list from the design, but I
know that's asking for a bit much. ;)

A program that was more capable than MS paint, yet without the learning
curve of AutoCAD type full-blown drafting programs.

I generally take post-it notes and make objects which I use on your typical
8.5x11 graph/grid paper with some sort of scale applied, but my wife is
having trouble visualizing the designs through this method.

I fully understand that I can't expect architect quality renditions, and
full-blown construction plans from a low cost/short learning curve, do it
yourself approach like this. But I can't help wondering if there is not
something out there (even if it is a bit crude) that would at least be
better than my hand sketches?

Thanks

Wayne